- "The Church exists by mission, just as fire exists by burning." ~Emil Bruner
- Instead of being "seeker sensitive" the church needs to be the seekers relentlessly pursuing the lost in the same way that Jesus relentlessly pursued us.
- "If you can do anything else [other than church planting], you ought to do it." I can't imagine any other course for my life.
- Postmodernism is not about changing things or finding what's new, but re-evaluating what is. The question posed isn't: "What?" but "Why?"
- "[Postmoderns] care far more about how to live than about how to prove."
- In order for church and faith to be authentic, what I teach needs to transform my life. It can't transform others unless it transforms me too.
Friday, January 27, 2006
So I've been slowly reading through this book (translation: I spend too much time reading articles online about the Seahawks instead of reading things that are important) about church planting. Here are a few thoughts and quotes that have resonated with me thus far: