I have to say that I'm really jonesin' for Portland right now. A couple days ago I met someone new and we were swaping 5-minute-life-stories, and I just kept going on about how cool Portland is. Earlier the same day I met a nice older lady and she found out I was from Portland and she told me how much she loved visiting. Even reading about the freezing rain lately has made me miss the winter weather that comes out of the gorge, because there's a gorge and mountains and an ocean. Needless to say I miss all my Portland friends (even if they've left Portland). The city wouldn't hold such magic if it weren't for the people that helped me to make it my home. You all know who you are. Thanks.
That being said, I'm going to make a list of things (not people) that I miss about Portland:
- I miss bumpy ground. It's too flat here.
- I miss the MAX. There is no mass transit here and the busses are worse than horrible.
- I miss Saturday Market. Where else can you buy a hemp iPod cover?
- I miss Coffee. Yes they have it here, but people just don't know.
- I miss driving the Old Scenic Highway to Crown Point and Multnomah Falls (no falls or scenic outlooks in flatsville).
- I miss Carl's Jr., Red Robin, Fred Meyer, Safeway, PTCU, Winco, etc.
- I miss having recycling bins everywhere.
- I miss having every place be non-smoking.
- I miss parks all over the place.
- I miss racial diversity and tollerance.
- I miss McMenamins.
Ok, I think that's about enough for now. It didn't really cheer me up to think about all the things I miss. It did, however, strenghthen my resolve to get back to Portland as soon as possible (currently shooting for August of 2007).